TURPIN - he was a right bastard

The Dark and Dirty Deeds of Dick

Wednesday, May 24

Interloquutars R and M

R: With this and that like talk consumed was our dinner, and after the table was removed, in came one of the waiters with a fair silver bowl full of Dice and Cards. "Now masters," quoth the goodman, "who is so disposed, fall to: here is my 20 li., win it and wear it." Then each man chose his game, some kept the good man company at the Hazard, some matched themselves as a new game called Primero.

M: And what did you the while?

R: They egged me to have made one at Dice, and told me it was a shame for a gentleman not to keep gentlemen company for his 20 or 40 crowns. Nevertheless because I alleged ignorance, the gentlewoman said I should not sit idle all the rest being occupied, and so we 2 fell to Saunt five games a Crown.

M: And how sped you in the end?

R: In good faith, I passed not for the loss of 20 or 40 s., for acquaintance, and so much I think it cost me, and then I left off, marry, the Diceplayers stack well by it and made very fresh play, saving one or two that were clean shriven, & had no more money to lose.

A Manifest Detection of the Most Vile and Detestable Use of Diceplay,
and Other Practices
Gilbert Walker (1550)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home