TURPIN - he was a right bastard

The Dark and Dirty Deeds of Dick

Tuesday, April 11

Further Instructions in the Art of Penmanship

a LETTER from an elder to a younger Brother, representing to him the fatal Consequences that must unavoidably attend him, in case he persists in his Extravagance.

Dear Dick,

AS you are my only Brother, you must imagine, if you give yourself the least Time for Reflection, that your Misfortunes affect me next to my own. You are sensible, tho' have aquaintence and association with some who are not, I have met with too many; but then you know very well, at the same Time, that they must be ascribed to unforeseen Accidents, and not to any wilful Acts of Profusion.

This consideration supports me under the Weight of them; but as to those that have befallen me on Account, they must be imputed indeed to my indiscretion. Whilst my Father and Mother were living, they both supplied you, not only with the Conveniences of Life, but indulged you, if I may be so free as to say so, in your Levity and Extravagance.

My Love for you inclines me, I must own, to serve you to the utmost in my Power; but, dear Dick, which Way can I effectually do it? Were I to send you the hundred Guineas according to your Request, of what real Advantage would it be to you? It would prove no other Service in the World, than to lengthen your Credit, and make you run deeper into Debt.

However, notwithstanding all your repeated Provocations, you may assure yourself, when I have any convincing Proof of your Reformation, no reasonable Assistance with be denied you, by

Your affectionate, tho' much injur'd Brother

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home